Monday, February 22, 2010

My Name Is Khan

Starring Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol.Directed by Karan Johar.

I've just been to see My Name Is Khan at the theater. I went with my neighbor who had never even seen or heard of Bollywood cinema, or even regular Indian picture. She had no idea what to expect.

For me, it was a wonderful film. So full of love and sadness and hatred but the message was of peace and hope.
It was beautifully acted both by Shahrukh Khan (SRK) and Kajol.
This role was a departure from the usual style of acting by SRK but magnificently done. There was a lot of laughter through the beginning of the film as we are introduced to Rizvan Khan, the main character and we learn about his peaceful and different outlook on life. He is soft spoken and innocently sweet. How could we not love him as soon as we meet him. The story brings us to a wonderfully happy place where everything appears to be perfect.
Suddenly as lives are torn apart after the incident that shocked the world -9/11, we see anger, hatred and suffering. It becomes very intense and difficult to watch here. However Rizvan remains constant in his beliefs and his plan to make his voice heard. Rizvan becomes a hero to a nation and to the woman who loves him. This movie has a very positive message and leaves you with a feeling of hope and encouragement.

My friend's comments to me were that it was a very rich movie, which touched on clashing cultures and religions with political undertones. She loved it so much that we will be going to see a Hindi movie twice a month from now on. I can't wait to introduce her to the SRK whose facial expressions differ greatly from his character Rizvan. The SRK who can make me feel faint when his eyes smoulder with passion or who can make me want to hide in fear of his anger, then there is the actor who makes my heart ache when he plays a tortured soul. A man of many faces indeed.

I would recommend anybody to see this movie, it was well directed and well acted and a pleasure to watch.

6 comments: