Monday, February 22, 2010

Learning the language

Bit by bit, I am picking up Hindi words. I've seen so many movies now that I understand a little of the language. It confuses me though when movies are in multiple languages. I tried turning down the volume of a movie and just reading the words but it's impossible to watch that way. I'd rather turn off the English subtitles and just listen to the dialogue. Often times there is enough spoken English and enough words that I have picked up that I am able to understand a great deal of the movie.
One exception was 3 idiots. This movie was wonderful but there was very little English translation and I know I missed a great deal of excellent, important dialogue. However, I thought this was a great movie.

One of the most used words I have discovered is pyaar. Love. It's used over and over again in every movie. It seems to be the driving force behind all of the movies I watch. Love of family, being in love, falling in love. Having no love. Lost love. It's a strong word. Another such word I hear constantly is truth. That also seems to be a common thread in these movies. A quest for the truth.

I love all the family words for grandparents, aunties, uncles and sister/brother. There is so much respect given in addressing others in this culture. One must properly address everyone or you are being disrespectful.
Some other words I know well are: you, heart, friend, nothing and one minute. I've known how to say thank you since I was a child, taught to me by my Pakastani brother in law. Shukriya.

I can make no rhyme or reason of the written language whatsoever. Black squiggles all meant to confuse me and I am easily confused, ha.
I am slowly developing a love affair with the spoken language now and perhaps some day I'll be able to speak a little, if I keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment